I don't even know what to call it

After being awake for 19 hours, I still couldn't sleep. I had this brewing in me, begging to be written out. I don't know what it means, or maybe I do and I just don't want to admit it. I just found myself hurriedly scribbling the words at 6am.

Because sometimes the night is cruel and it wont let you sleep
It prods and pricks until you bleed
It swings at you until it hits
It calls and beckons until you heed.

Heed and cry, and tears, and run
Race away from this reality you call life
One step after the other, breathless, panting, gasping for air
Nowhere to run, nothing to spare.

Hush child, slow down
And yes, child you are, in more ways than one
Listen, be still, don't run or fight back
Let it call, let it prod, let it keep you up.

Weather this night, weather this life
The dawn is here, the light is nigh
It will let up, it will pass
It doesn't feel like it, but trust me, wait it out.

And when your demons start calling, when the ghosts are back
Sit them down, talk it out
Hold on longer, fight a little bit harder
Look yonder, the daylight breaks your nightmare. 

Comments